Candling - Day 7 - Pt. 2 (plus hen update)

Yesterday evening I checked the remaining eggs in the incubator, and was happy to see that almost all of them are developing! One Blue Wheaten Ameraucana egg was removed due to a detached air cell, which I read is common in shipped eggs. I marked a few to check again next time, as they were either too dark, or showed signs that they may be a quitter. Next time I candle, I should be able to easily tell who is growing and who isn't. I could see veins and a dark mass in most, and movement in more than a few! The eggs from our own hens and the Rhode Island Red eggs seem to be the hardiest and quickest in developing.

In other news, both of our hens are back to laying. They laid through the cold season, but when the coop was built and they were moved in, stress or some other factor (maybe just needing a break!), one of them stopped producing eggs. Considering they starting laying around midsummer, and turned a year old last month, I think they are doing a great job. I hope that as the six red pullets grow and become laying hens, along with whatever hens make it through incubation, that I will be able to have enough eggs to sell whatever we don't use locally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment