Welcome!

Welcome to Just So Homegrown! The goal of this blog is to show my family's journey towards being more self-sustainable and all the bumps that we encounter along the way. I was born and raised in South Carolina, and have always had a love for the outdoors and animals. When I was younger, my mother raised chickens from time to time, along with fainting goats. Once I moved out, I didn't ever have more than "furry" pets until about a year ago. We purchased six pullets from Tractor Supply, and got a rooster from a family members. The pullets were raised inside, and made it to being put outdoors, but through a "series of unfortunate events", we lost all hens but two. This was their first winter and they have laid all the way through. 

Recently we were in Tractor Supply (yes, we were looking at chicks!) and the Little Giant Still Air Incubator 9200 caught my eye. After talking it over, we purchased it, and the automatic egg turner. Within a few days, I had found a hatchery in North Carolina that had some hatching eggs coming available. I put in an order for a dozen. I ordered four each of the Cream Legbars, the Rhode Island Reds, and the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, but she included two extra eggs for each breed in case any of the dozen were not fertile. That brought me to a total of 18, and in the meantime, I had been collecting our hens fertilized eggs. While waiting for the hatchery shipment, we managed to get 10 of our own eggs. 28 eggs... 

We should take a moment to talk about my research. (SIGH) Since this idea of incubating my own eggs came to be, I have just about looked at every single site that talks about the brand of incubator that I have. I've seen the good and the bad as far as experiences and reviews. Stressing has been an understatement. What did I get myself into? I don't even know what I'm doing. Also, what happens if they don't hatch, or only a few hatch? Was ordering eggs over just using my own the first batch a good decision? Well. They're here, and this evening is the beginning of the incubation period. I have 3 thermometers and one is the kind that checks humidity as well. Currently temperature is 99% regulated. Egg turner is plugged in... and I'm just going to hold on for the ride. 

No, this blog isn't going to be -ALL- about chickens and hatching eggs, but that was what inspired me to start a blog in the first place! I hope that this journey opens one door after another for myself and my family. It feels good when you don't have the urgency to rely on others for some of your basic needs. Knowing that your ideas and work go into providing for everyone is a very rewarding feeling. 

Please feel free to share any tips or stories that you have on hatching eggs, or anything homestead-related. I hope that sharing my experience may inspire any of you that may be thinking of taking a leap into modern-day homesteading in some form or fashion to do so, and with an idea of what challenges and rewards come along with the lifestyle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment